Sandhurst Estate is one of Historic Aiken's early Winter Colony homes, which was originally designed by the famous New York Architect Stanford White, for William H. Sands of New York.
The designing and building process took from 1883 to 1887 to complete. The original struction boasts all of the classic elements treasured by the architect: oval spider windows, ornate capitals on reeded columns, symmetrical balance and room proportions befitting the elevated status of the occupants.
In 1902 two of Standord White's apprentices, Hoppen & Koen trumpeted their addition to the original home in a full page ad in the 1902 'Architectural Record', it is this addition that houses the kitchen, the keepers room, butlers pantry and upstairs master bedroom suite.
5.05 of the original acres are still with the house and a newer six stall barn is ready to be a home for horses, again. The property is completely fenced with access through an electric gate. The Hitchcock Woods, a 2100 acre urban forest reserved for hoof & foot traffic is just steps away.
Next door, the former Iselin Estate, Hopelands, is now an award winning garden owned by the city and home to Aiken's Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame and a delightful concert series each summer.
Sandhurst Estate currently has eleven bedrooms, ten marble accented baths, with a half bath downstairs along with another bedroom and bath off of the kitchen which had been the innkeeper's room, ten fireplaces, high ceilings and wainscoting, heart of pine floors and grounds befitting a Gilded Age Mansion. Sunny large scale rooms open to magnolia shaded terraces. The dining room is large enough to serve three tables of twelve, the great hall has a beautiful view of the rear terrace, the formal living room opens to a tranquil side porch and the library offers a comforting oasis in the midst of Stanford White's glorious vision.
The history of Aiken and the activities that have made her famous surround Sandhurst Estate.
The Museums, gardens and historic estates create a delightful setting for this architectural masterpiece.
Recent renovations and restorations include a new roof, new/refinished flooring, new box gutters, window restorations, interior and exterior paint. The Widows Walk has been recently reconstructed and replaced to reflect the original design as seen in historic photographs.
Please call for more information.