The estate is located in the heart of the Tuscan countryside, in the territories of the towns of Vinci and Cerreto Guidi, which are part of the zone known as the Renaissance Lands. In fact, the history of the farm dates back to the Renaissance, when the area that now holds the estate was covered by a heavily grown, untamed forest referred to as the "Rozzalupi Thicket". During the Renaissance, the holding passed into the hands of the Adimaris, a wealthy and well known Florentine family that expanded its boundaries, built the Villa and used the site as a hunting reserve. Since then, the distinguishing characteristics of the farm have remained unchanged, as shown by the hunting lodge and a small building meant to house homing birds: the reason behind the name of “Uccelleria”, or “Aviary”, given to the woods.
The farm has the form typical of Tuscan agricultural burghs, consisting of a Master Villa, plus two farmhouses that face onto the kind of traditional barnyard that played such a large part in the peasant farming of yesteryear.
Each portion of the different buildings has been painstakingly reconstructed, respecting the rustic Tuscan style, but without neglecting modern comforts, including direct access to a large pool and grounds, plus a lake, a riding stable and stalls.
A total of 110 acres of land surrounds the estate, of which 17 acres hold olive groves, 2 and a half have been set aside for a vineyard, and 21 acres are covered with fruit orchards that produce peaches and apricots, while the rest of the land has been left for fields and wooded areas.
on two floors, Total floor space of 400 m2
Each subdivided into 7 apartments Total floor space of 800 m2
Total floor space of all the buildings 1200 m2
GROUNDS AND OUTDOOR FACILITIES
17 acres of olive groves
2 ½ acres of vineyards
21 acres of fruit orchards
Fields for crops and forest land
A riding stable with stalls
A barn to be renovated
Total size of grounds 110 acres
The Cerreto Guidi area has been inhabited since the Bronze Age, as demonstrated by archaeological digs that turned up evidence of huts built 15 centuries before Christ by fisherman in the vicinity of Padule di Fucecchio, while finds in the areas of Corliano and Ripoli show that this portion of Tuscany was populated in the Roman Age as well.
Still, the first historical mention of Cerreto Guidi – which lies at a significant distance from the Via Francigena pilgrims’ route – dates from the second half of the 8th century (the year 780), when it is included in a reference to the San Savino Abbey just outside of Pisa, though under the name of Cerreto in Greti, which renamed in use until 1079.
The town changed its name following the arrival of the Counts of the Guidi family, who built a castle in the burgh. But it was not until a later era – the 13th century – that Cerreto Guidi experienced a period of noteworthy development. Thanks to the famous Tuscan family of the Medici, who elected the town as one of their favourite dwelling places, it became part of the Republic of Florence, at which point its fortunes and history followed those of the Florentines.
The site appears to have been much loved by the Medicis, and especially by Cosimo I, who built a splendid villa atop the remains of the castle of the Guidi family in the 16th century.
The Medici Villa still holds a central position, dominating the rest of the town, which has preserved the circular layout of the Cerreto Castle, complete with the venerable defensive walls and the four gates (the Porta Palagio, Porta Fiorentina, Porta di Santa Maria a Pozzuolo and Porta Caracosta), whose names are also given to the neighbourhoods that take part in numerous events reconstructing the towns history and folklore, such as the traditional “Palio del Cerro”, or Candle Race.